Pomona  |  West Covina  |  Santa Ana  |  Long Beach

How to Minimize Effects of an Electric Shock Injury

Electric Shock | DYS Law Group

Despite the fact that electricity has significantly improved how we live, the fact remains that it can be a very risky source of energy. In the event that it is not properly controlled, electricity has the potential to cause catastrophic injuries and even result in death. The ability to react appropriately to an electric shock could mean the difference between life and death for the person receiving it.

What an Electrical Shock Looks Like?

Electric shocks can be caused by a wide variety of devices, many of which are likely to be found in and around the average person’s home. Electric shocks can be caused by a number of different factors, including outlets, lighting, and electrical appliances. If you are familiar with the symptoms of an electric shock, you will be better equipped to assist others who are experiencing one and will also be less likely to sustain an injury yourself. There are a few telltale signs that someone has received a severe electric shock, including the following:

  • Muscle spasms
  • Sudden loss of consciousness
  • Problems in breathing
  • Intense headache
  • Seizures
  • Burns
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Difficulty hearing and seeing

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms yourself or see someone else exhibiting them, there is a chance that either you or they are receiving a severe electric shock. These kinds of mishaps can be extremely hazardous and leave an indelible mark on your life for a very long time.

The Dangers of Electric Shocks

Burns are the most common type of injury that can be caused by electrical shocks, but they can also cause other types of serious injuries. Electrical burns, in contrast to thermal burns, which occur when you are subjected to high heat, can quickly spread throughout your entire body, causing catastrophic damage to your deep tissues, nerves, and even your bones. Thermal burns occur when you are exposed to high heat. Burns of this severity can cause scarring, the loss of limbs, and even permanent disabilities if they are severe enough.

Electrical shocks are a potential cause of both heart attacks and seizures, both of which can result in damage to the heart and the brain. If the shock is severe enough, the result may be cognitive impairment, permanent heart problems, or even death. The unfortunate reality is that it only takes one broken electric appliance, such as a microwave or a coffee machine, to cause a fatal accident. Simply being prepared for what to do in the event of an electric shock can save a person’s life, or the life of a loved one.

Ways to Respond to a Severe Electric Shock

In the event that you are feeling an electric shock, you should make every effort to remove yourself as quickly as possible from the source of the electricity. Because prolonged exposure to electricity can cause permanent damage, the most prudent course of action is to remove oneself from the field or turn off the relevant power supply. Call for medical assistance as soon as you are sure you are no longer in danger from the power source and be sure to tell them what happened. You will want to describe any symptoms you are experiencing to the medical staff so that they can advise you on any immediate actions you can take to protect yourself from further harm.

On the other hand, if you notice that another person is experiencing an electric shock, you need to do everything in your power to assist that person. However, because electricity can flow from one human body to another, if you do not know how to properly assist them, you run the risk of receiving an electric shock yourself. If you want to assist someone who is going through a severe electric shock, then you should do the following:

  1. If they are still in contact with the source of the electricity, you should avoid touching them at all costs.
  2. In the event that you are able to, please stop the flow of electricity.
  3. If this cannot be done, move the source of the electricity away from them using something made of rubber or wood, provided that neither of these materials is wet.
  4. Do not move the person who has been shocked because doing so can make their injuries worse unless they are in danger of receiving additional electric shocks.
  5. Put in a call for medical assistance and describe the incident.
  6. Always pay attention to directions given to you by the attending medical staff.
  7. Be sure to check the person’s pulse and see if they are breathing normally.
Conclusion

Even if you take all of these precautions and follow them to the letter, there is still a chance that you or the person you are assisting will suffer serious injuries. Because of this, it is absolutely essential for manufacturing companies, building owners, and maintenance workers to ensure that all electrical appliances, power lines, and wiring are manufactured and installed in a safe manner. If the source of your electric shock was faulty, you may be able to file a claim for personal injury against the manufacturer. For a free consultation with an experienced DYS Law Offices Attorneys and some friendly legal advice, call (213) 855-4749. We are ready to help.

Share :

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

WHAT OUR CLIENT SAY ABOUT US !

Dys Law Group Testimonial Happy Client | DYS Law Group
| GET IN TOUCH

Have Question?

Contact Info

Address

Translate »

Free Case Evaluation

Skip to content